Sunday, June 12, 2011

uninvited guest

I've had bad eczema problems since I was 23 and a bug bite became infected. I did go to the doctor and was prescribed doxycycline. I assume the infection triggered a switch in my system that has made me so sensitive to most foods and the environment ever since. It took me a couple of years of confusion and many doctor's visits to figure out this was here to stay and take over my life. It seems so arbitrary that an infection can cause this. Ashleigh Morris, a teenager became allergic to water after getting tonsillitis. Her picture of the rashy skin patches don't look bad but I can tell you it hurts like hades to have even the softest clothing brush up against such rashes.

I did have random very small patches of eczema as a kid (behind the knees type of thing) but it had not been a problem for nearly twenty years.  Doctors say it's hereditary and ask if my parents had bad allergies and I say no. I tell my parents and they say "Oh, yes we do have allergies, I sneeze whenever I mow the lawn!" or in the midst of raining cedar pollen, "Yes, I get so congested." Ugh, that is NOTHING compared to feeling like someone took a cheese grater to your entire body while stuffing your nasal cavities with cement 300 days a year for almost a decade. I'm giving 65 days to the random and FLEETING recoveries I relish once in while. I do admit that I have been able to operate outside the hijacking fog of congestion lately (past few months) thanks to allergy shots but the skin allergies/eczema/dermatitis persist and of course the congestion comes and goes. It's just not a fixture anymore. My upper lip is weeping right now. :( That last sentence would make no sense to a normal person.

No comments:

Post a Comment