Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Eczema Fashion

Eczema killed my fashion sense. Ten years ago, if you told me I would run around town with no makeup and long sleeved shirts flipped inside out I would have been aghast. Now, when the crease of a clothing's seams can feel like itchy razor blades, I usually flip it inside out when possible. I also like to cover because I itch less when covered up. I also prefer crew necks since my chest is so sensitive that v-necks and scoops have necklines that fall too low and irritate me more. Plus, I don't exactly want to show off my bumpy red chest skin. Pants are a constant to my style, even though we frequently hit temperatures in the 100's here. Inside out cotton leggings feel like heaven!! It's no fun being the out of style frumpy girl when everyone is wearing cute dresses and shorts. I do get to wear skirts/dresses/shorts when I'm on serious corticosteroids but that might last a week. Still, I take advantage of those days, insisting on eating out, meeting up with friends and wearing jewelry that normally just irritates me. I practically dance in the street, arms extended smiling face to the heavens...and then by the next week it's back to the uglies. I was never an envious or coveting type of person growing up, in fact I'm usually happy just to see others happy and never get jealous. I can't say that so much nowadays, I am jealous of every single person I see, age, race, income, weight, etc. I wistfully watch people walking around wishing I had their beautiful beautiful beautiful skin. Everyone has beautiful skin, except me.

I also stay away from dark clothing, no black! I prefer white because the facial/chest/shoulder flaking can get out of hands some days. It looks like an explosion of dandruff even though my scalp has not been flaky lately. Not that face flakes are any less off putting.

4 comments:

  1. Hey dear, worry not :) smile always. You're not alone here having eczema. Me too :) and I'm having the worst flare up now.. Bleeding till its scarred :( I can't go out with shorts at all.. You know, it might be easy for others but my dream is to able to wear mini skirt one day. Don't lose hope! Hope to see you writing ur blog again :) Cyndee from Malaysia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. T^T
    I used to be happy when people were happy now I envy those that are able to wear shorts and dresses.
    I have many scars from eczema and I feel self conscious, but lately I started trying not to care as much and enjoy this life I was give. I finally wore shorts even if there was a giant scar.
    Don't let eczema control you! 'cuz as long as your still alive just enjoy what you have because what you take for granted (being able to walk, talk, see, hear, etc.) you might loose someday just like when we took for granted having clear skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also one who suffers from eczema and still being a teenager in high school, it kicks you big time. I have patchy red spots on my legs and fine lines from the scratching everywhere. I'm always wondering, why me. out of 1 billion+ people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Flaky, wondering if you're still on here.
    I totally identify with you. Had eczema as a child started at age 4, went away, with just a few patches here and there. At 25 it returned with a vengeance. YOu made me laugh. God bless you and how's your skin now?

    ReplyDelete